06 Jun Danny Vega – Deload Week – Updates & Some Significant Changes
I ran the Gasparilla half marathon on February 26th and the Savage Race in March. I’m currently doing a powerbuilding block with minimum running to keep a good base. My only goal now is to hit 6% bodyfat. Starting point in April was 11.4% on the DXA scan and 12.7% on the bod pod. The 10/20/Life Powerbuilding book should be out in the late spring/early summer.
Trouble in Paradise. Well, not really, but here’s the thing. I do a lot of introspection and I have to check myself pretty often. I’m human and I get into comfort zones like anyone else. When I first started this powerbuilding block and told people my 6% body fat goal, they said, “Just do a show! It’s the only way you’ll get that lean!” I thought to myself that I don’t really need a show to motivate me to hit a goal. But it turns out that’s not exactly true. When you’re accountable to no one but yourself, it makes it easier for you to constantly bargain and go off plan, etc. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve stayed keto 100%, and my ketones are still high when I check them. But I haven’t been weighing myself because I’ve over eaten at least 2-3 days of each of the last two weeks. I’m getting another bod pod done on Monday and I suspect that it won’t be too much better than 7 weeks ago, so I’m done wasting time.
I’m bringing on my good friend Robert Sikes aka ketosavage to make a plan for me. Yes, I know how to do this myself. But I’m doing this for two reasons: first, to get a strict plan from an outsiders perspective that doesn’t cut corners, and more importantly to have someone to keep me accountable. I chose Robert because he is 100% Keto and has done off seasons and bodybuilding preps fully Keto and he has gotten himself down to 3.3%. All I need to get to is double that! This is Robert, FYI.
Huge shout out to the homie @ketosavage for killing it at his first show fully keto! He won both of his classes and the Overall in Mens Classic bodybuilding. This makes him a GBO (Global Bodybuilding Organization) Pro! Robert has one more show this weekend before he and I (and @ketovangelist) will partner on a cool little project. Follow his progress and join me in wishing him luck!
Other than that big piece of news, I changed my programming around again. I will be sharing some of the different training tools, as well as nutritional tweaks and experimentation that I’ve done on myself for the last year. Stuff I’ve learned from Tucker and other people who have helped me, as well as stuff I’ve found all over the place.
Progress pic, live from my Disney hotel:
Here’s my Deload week training.
1. 4 sets of calves as part of warmup
2. Bench w 3 sec negatives 5×5@225 w 60 sec rest, 135×20
3. Incline DB bench 3×10@75, 50×20
4. DB flye 3×15 no tempo changes 30 lb
5. 1.5 Rep Dips 3×8
6. Stir the pot x100
7. 25 min of stairmaster
Deadlift/back and biceps
15 min stairmaster warmup plus McGill big 3
1. Deadlift 5×1@365 w 60 sec rest
2. Chest supported rows 3×10@250,270,270
3. Lat pulldowns 3×10@145,155,165
4. Double arm dumbbell row 3×10 focus on the rhomboids/mid traps and hold at peak contraction for 1-2 seconds on each rep. @50,65,70
5. Shrugs 3×10@90
6. Hammer curls 3×10@50
7. Preacher curls 3×10@85,75,75
8. 15 min uphill walk at 3mph, 5-7%, 20 min sauna
OHP/shoulders and triceps
1. 15 min of uphill walk 3.2mph, 5-7% incline
2. Seated OHP 5×5@135-145, 95×20
3. Front + side raise 3×10 each @25
4. Reverse pec deck 3×15 w squeeze no thumbs @150
5. Smith machine JM Press 3×20-25 @115,135,135
6. Cable triceps extensions 3×15@65,75,70
7. Plank 3×60 sec
8. 15 min of stairmaster
80 min of cardio
60 min of cardio
1. Squat 5×1@315 w 60 sec rest, 225×20
2. KB Goblet Squat 3×10@62
3. Hack squat 2×10@140,180
4. BB RDL 3×10@185,225,245
5. GHR 3×8@25
6. Reverse sled drags 10 sets @135,180,225,180,225,180,225,180,225,180
250 push-ups split up throughout the day while I was at Disney.
Latest posts by Danny Vega (see all)
- Danny Vega – High Protein recap and training - November 8, 2017
- Danny Vega – Hypertrophy Experiment UPDATE - October 28, 2017
- Danny Vega – Hypertrophy Week 1 – 1020Life Seminar - October 9, 2017