29 Aug Zane Geeting, Training for the week of 8/24/15
I’m currently training for the APF Fall open, here in MI. I’m still on my 2 day per week training split as this meet is earlier than I would normally be picking things up for the competition season. It will be interesting to see how well I can make the split work. So far its going very well.
Tuesday night bench training…
Tuesday night I tried breaking in a new Inzer SDP. I went 2 sizes larger than what I would normally wear, in an effort to be able to set up properly and protect my side with no pec. It has become extremely important for me to be able to retract my shoulders very well and set my upper back properly in order to anchor that shoulder and protect the area where I no longer have the majority of a pec. The Super Phenom can be a very hard shirt to break in, but the best shirt available if you break it in properly. My only concern was that they have very small chest plates, and I have very broad shoulders. When I’ve broken them in, in the past, they’ve made it very hard for me to set up properly for the first few weeks. I was hoping this would be something I could change by starting with a looser shirt. Here’s what I did:
Bird dogs, McGill’s, Push ups, Side laterals, Scarecrows
bar x a bunch, 150×15, 200×10, 240×5
Add loose old single ply Phenom
Add size 60 SDP
420x3x3 sets to a 3 board
- Unfortunately the shirt made it too hard for me to set up properly. My bad pec was cramping up on me and I was in a horrible position. Back to the drawing board, its not going to be worth the risk of trying to break this in.
3 sets of 15-20 reps, up to 80 lb. DB’s
3 sets of 12 up to 55 lb. DB’s
1 warm up set and 1 drop set
5 sets of 10 reps
- That was the end of it. At this point I’m thinking my best bet is going to be a loose rage-x. I talked to a couple people over the course of the week, and think I have a good idea what I need to do fit wise. More about that as I move forward.
Friday night, Squat and DL training…
This week it was time for a squat deload. I had squatted up to 600 raw on week 1, 600 for some rep sets in briefs on week 2, and 700 for a few singles in my new suit on week 3. I figured I better take a light one, and also take the time to get some moderate weight, higher rep pulling since my deadlift training has been virtually non existent lately. Here’s what I did:
Bird dogs, McGill’s, Cat/Camel, Hip airplanes, KB swings, BW squat
150×10, 240×5, 330×3, 420x1x2 sets
135×10, 225×5, 315×5, 405×5, 495×3, 565×1 (aaaaand I pulled my right glute at the hamstring insertion)
- This was pretty upsetting. I’ve been feeling great lately, but in retrospect, that glute has been getting tight on me at work lately. I also didn’t drink shit for water all day because we were extremely busy. That is a bad combo, and I should have known not to push things. Although, to be fair, 565 is hardly pushing it for someone who pulls 765. Regardless, I have a pulled glute that is pretty uncomfortable today, so we’ll just have to see how things go moving forward. I’m going to try to get to the chiro for some soft tissue work ASAP.
2 sets of 20 reps ea. arm with 90 lb DB’s
Machine shrugs and calve raises
3 sets of 20-25 on each
- That was it, the other things I was going to do were sure to mess with my pulled glute, so I hit the road early.
[share title=”Share this Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”][author title=”About the Author”]