10 Feb Danny Vega – Off-season Week 6 – Bench, Squat & Thoughts on Training
Posted at 09:28h in Team Training Logs 0 Comments
I am training for the RPS Redemption/XPC Qualifier on May 30, 2015. I will be competing in the classic raw 220lb weight class. I plan on gaining 10-12lbs over the next 10 weeks, and this is the plan. If I am not gaining about 1lb a week, I will adjust up or down.
Weight is at 225. This is perfect. This week I will drop the carbs a bit as my training won’t be as intense.
Congratulations to all my friends who competed at RUM8 this weekend. Looked like a great meet and I was sorry to miss it.
Week 6 Bench deload
1a. Floor press 5×5@245
1b. Band pull-aparts 5×10
Then, Jonathan told me to “be a bro”. I was happy to oblige.
2a. Lateral raise 3×10@25-30
2b. 1.5 rep preacher curl 3×15@50
3a. 1.5 rep triceps rope extensions 3×20@45
3b. I’m calling these Duffin raises 3×15@15
3c. DB rear raise 3×10@25
Week 6 squat deload
1. Beltless Squats 5×2@415 (speed!)
2. GHR 4×10@bw
3. Single leg GM 3×10@53
4. Backwards sled drags x15 min@225
And now for some thoughts…
1. I feel really, really good. Now is when some people will feel the need to go balls out over 3 months out. This is dumb. Stick to the plan and stick to the correct RPE. That’s how you stay healthy and set yourself for PRs when it counts–on the platform.
2. My form feels great on squat and deadlift. Bench is still a work in progress.
3. These things. I can’t tell you how much I love them. Go here and get yourself a pair. They have changed the way I squat. I have much more confidence in the hole.
4. I’m proud to be on such a great team. A lot of great information is coming out of this site and I encourage everyone to go on the Q&A, check out the articles and logs, and if you haven’t already, pick up the book here.
[share title=”Share this Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”][author title=”About the Author”]
The following two tabs change content below.
Danny Vega is a 220lb raw powerlifter with meet bests of 640 squat in wraps (610 raw), 400 bench, and 700 deadlift. A native of Miami, Florida, Vega received his bachelor’s degree in political science from Columbia University in 2004, where he was a member of the football team and a three-time Dean’s List recipient. Vega earned his masters of science in human performance from the University of Florida, where he worked with the national championship men’s basketball team along with women’s basketball, tennis, and golf programs. He then went on to become the Strength & Conditioning coordinator for VCU basketball. The Rams were 2007 conference champions and made it to the second round of the NCAA tournament.
Latest posts by Danny Vega (see all)
- Danny Vega – High Protein recap and training - November 8, 2017
- Danny Vega – Hypertrophy Experiment UPDATE - October 28, 2017
- Danny Vega – Hypertrophy Week 1 – 1020Life Seminar - October 9, 2017
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.