23 Mar Danny Vega – RPS Redemption meet prep – 3/23 bench training
I am training for the RPS Redemption/XPC Qualifier on May 30, 2015. I will be competing in the classic raw 220lb weight class.
This weekend I saw one of my best friends lift at Gorilla Bench’s Battle of the Bay USPA meet. Terry Boynton hit a 705 deadlift and went 7 for 9. Proud of you brother.
Watching meets is always awesome because it serves as a reminder of several things:
1. The fact that there are tons of strong lifters out there who will gladly pass you by if you aren’t staying focused.
2. How not to choose attempts. Some guys were struggling with their last warm ups. It looked exhausting.
3. How to execute a perfect meet. I have to shout out my friend Trevor Jaffe who won overall best male lifter, went 8 for 9, and displayed perfect technique on all his lifts. He also unknowingly gave me an idea for an article I’ll be writing on how to approach your first meet (or any meet, even for advanced lifters)
Onto bench training:
1. Touch and go Bench 275×3, 305×3, 305×3 again…did an extra set by mistake because I forgot to increase the weight. I didn’t mind, since I was practicing some new cues I got from Jeremy Hoornstra (he’s pretty good at benching), 3×3@345
2. Paused bench 315×3, 4×3@330
3. Light DB bench 3×10@85
4. Skull crushers 70×15, 80×12, 90×10
[share title=”Share this Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”][author title=”About the Author”]
Latest posts by Danny Vega (see all)
- Danny Vega – High Protein recap and training - November 8, 2017
- Danny Vega – Hypertrophy Experiment UPDATE - October 28, 2017
- Danny Vega – Hypertrophy Week 1 – 1020Life Seminar - October 9, 2017