05 Sep Paul Oneid – 10/20/I need a deload
I am currently training for the RPS Autumn Apocalypse on Nov. 14, 2015 in Newark, NJ. I’ll be competing at 220lbs with wraps and gunning for a +2000lbs total.
The last 1.5 weeks of training have probably been the most frustrating in recent memory. It is a combination of factors, but the most important being that I did not listen to my body and I am paying the price. My bench is feeling very strong and I am hitting PR’s every session, but my squat and deadlift training has been affected greatly by my hip/IT issue. Today, I couldn’t even complete 1 working set without being in severe pain. I played it smart and shut it down in favor of some unilateral bodyweight work.
With my deload next week the goal will be to hammer mobility work and un-glue my left hip. I have also booked 2x weekly appointments with my chiro for soft tissue work from now until the meat. I am going to be making some adjustments to my training as well, so hopefully this will allow for better recovery between squat and deadlift sessions. I will update you guys more on that later. Here are the last 2 days of training:
Thursday was a rest day
Friday – Moderate Bench (chose to put off squatting until Saturday to rest my hip)
1. Bench – up to
370×5 *5Lbs PR!
2. Close grip Bench – up to
3. McGill pullups – 2x10sets (:30s between)
4. Rack rows – 225x10x2sets
5. Dips – 70x12x3sets *dips are WAY harder when you hold the lockout LOL
6. Thumb up front raise – 30x12x3sets
Saturday – Heavy squats… Kinda
- Squat – in wraps, up to 655×2… goal was to work up to 685×4, but the pain in my IT was horrible.
- Paused Squat – 505×1… this was dumb and hurt like I was being stabbed
- Bulgarian Split Squat – bw x15x8sets
- Single leg RDL – 25x10x5sets
- Ab Wheel – 10x4sets
Even though the last 1.5 weeks of squat and deadlift training were not the most productive, I am still 10 weeks out. I am in a lot of pain, but I am not injured. I have adjusted my plan and I am playing it smart. Gotta roll with it when plans don’t pan out the way you want them to.
Bring on the deload!!
Latest posts by Paul Oneid (see all)
- A Proposition for a Paradigm of Planning Your Personal Periodization - March 4, 2019
- Paul Oneid –> Off-Season | Feet Up Bench PR and Some Squats - March 1, 2019
- Paul Oneid –> Off-Season | A bit of everything - February 21, 2019