07 Jan Paul Oneid – Bench Building
I recently competed at the EPC Open Challenge. The meet was over on my second squat where I suffered a re-injury to my right quad. Due to personal and professional commitments, I have decided not to compete until Fall 2018. Between now and then I will be focusing on first getting healthy and then working on some very glaring weaknesses in the bench and deadlift specifically.
Get your copy of the 10/20/Life Second Edition HERE
Get your 10/20/Life gear HERE
Get your Supplements HERE
Grab your INZER Gear HERE
I am actually laughing as I post this, but I am. Working technique and doing things the right way means lifting weights that get me laughed at by the other dudes I train with. Lucky for me I’m witty and can use it as motivation to move forward.
Movements for today were close grip and 2sec paused spoto press. Close grip not only emphasizes tricep strength, but I also find that it teaches the lifter to stay tall in the chest and maintain the arch. The spoto press does much of the same because you need to stay tight during the pause off the chest and then accelerate to lockout. While I tend to fail the lift closer to lockout, I believe this is because I loose tightness and do not build enough from the pause. It’s important to choose movements that target your weak points. Even though these force me to use baby weights, improving them should provide a great deal of carryover.
- Close grip – 5×5, RPE 6
- 2sec paused spoto bench – 4×6, RPE 6
- Paused DB Bench – 4×10
- Tate Press – 4×10
- Bodyweight Tricep Extension – 5×20
- Stir the Pot – 200 reps
- Daily hip rehab sequence
- 5 minutes cardio
- Supine Alternating hip lift x20
- Deadbug hip reset x6/side
- These two movements are aimed to centre the pelvis laterally and anterior/posterior
- McGill Big 3 – 5x10sec each movement
- Single Leg Glute Bridge – 3x10sec iso hold per side
- Iso Deadbug – 30sec/ side
- Single Leg RDL Iso hold – 30sec/side
- ShoulderRok – 2 sets of some swings
- McGill T-Spine – 2×10
- Wall facing serious slides – 2×10
- Various low trap work – a bunch
Latest posts by Paul Oneid (see all)
- A Proposition for a Paradigm of Planning Your Personal Periodization - March 4, 2019
- Paul Oneid –> Off-Season | Feet Up Bench PR and Some Squats - March 1, 2019
- Paul Oneid –> Off-Season | A bit of everything - February 21, 2019
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.