31 Dec Paul Oneid – Finding my groove and some New Year perspective
I recently competed at the EPC Open Challenge. The meet was over on my second squat where I suffered a re-injury to my right quad. Due to personal and professional commitments, I have decided not to compete until Fall 2018. Between now and then I will be focusing on first getting healthy and then working on some very glaring weaknesses in the bench and deadlift specifically.
Get your copy of the 10/20/Life Second Edition HERE
Get your 10/20/Life gear HERE
Get your Supplements HERE
Grab your INZER Gear HERE
My deload intro week is done and I feel great. I feel confident in my movement choices, less a few, and I am confident to roll with my initial 3 training weeks. On the menu today was Tempo Squats, followed by some front squats. Front squats are getting tossed out the window for now. They really pissed off my meniscus on the left side in the deep position. I am going to opt for some high bar in its place. I am also contemplating spreading out the training a little bit, but more on that later.
The goal on this day was to just find my groove. Everything was light and moved well. I am in a way better position than I thought I would be, but I won’t let that derail my plans. Slow and steady. Again, I moved fast between sets and pushed the tempo. Entire session was under 90 minutes including warmup.
- Tempo SSB – 335x5x3sets RPE 5
- Front Squats – 245x6x3sets RPE 5 – These were uncomfortable and will be ditched.
- Bulgarians – 3x10ea
- SL RDL – 3x10ea
- Deadbugs – 4x10ea
- Daily hip rehab sequence
- 5 minutes cardio
- Supine Alternating hip lift x20
- Deadbug hip reset x6/side
- These two movements are aimed to centre the pelvis laterally and anterior/posterior
- McGill Big 3 – 5x10sec each movement
- Single Leg Glute Bridge – 3x10sec iso hold per side
- Iso Deadbug – 30sec/ side
- Single Leg RDL Iso hold – 30sec/side
- TKE – 2x20sec iso +20 reps
- Multidirectional Lunge – 8reps, 3 ways each leg
- SL RDL to Hip Airplane – x10ea
- Goblet Squat – 2×10
New Year’s Reflections
This might be the first year in a long time where I do not have specific training goals in the sense of numbers. This doesn’t mean that I don’t plan to push myself when the time comes, but I do not have any meet plans. When I choose a meet I will readjust my goals for that meet and where I am at. My personal and professional life are going to take precedent on competitions in 2018.
On the professional side, I am really enjoying coaching and putting on seminars and plan to do more of them. I am looking forward to a HUGE project coming to fruition early in the new year, which will take the bulk of my “free” time. I am also looking to move up in my company and solidify myself into a new role which would allow me to use my expertise and experience in a more hands on manner.
On the personal side, Pam and I will be getting married June 2nd. She is also competing in the Crossfit Open and will hopefully re-qualify for Regionals. Both of these take place before the wedding. It is important to support those who support you and during this time where training will be her focus, I plan to be available to take some stress of Pam when I can.
Once the wedding is done and I am healthy enough to think about competing, I will pick a meet. When, how, what weight class etc. I haven’t given any thought and honestly, that is totally ok with me.
I have made two resolutions for the New Year. These are different than my past goals, as they are abstract, but here they are:
- I want to do something everyday to make myself better physically and something to make me better mentally/ emotionally. I plan to do more a lot more self-reflection, which leads me to my next point.
- I want to work harder on not letting the behaviour of others impact my mood.
That’s it – plain and simple. Just be better everyday.
Latest posts by Paul Oneid (see all)
- A Proposition for a Paradigm of Planning Your Personal Periodization - March 4, 2019
- Paul Oneid –> Off-Season | Feet Up Bench PR and Some Squats - March 1, 2019
- Paul Oneid –> Off-Season | A bit of everything - February 21, 2019