I’m currently training for the 2018 XPC Finals at the Arnold Classic sports festival where I’ll be competing raw in the 198 lb class. My goal is to best my PR total of 1720 in this class. Daniel Dalenberg is handling my 2x per week training split, and Tucker Locken my diet.
This was a so-so week of training. My upper day went great, but the lower day was a mess again. I’ve really had my head up my ass here and it needs to change. I’ve been slacking on taking care of my recovery and its really become a problem. I will be taking measures to correct this and am 100% focused on making things right now… no more f*cking around.
Here’s video of the upper day to kick things off…
Weights are: 325×2, 355×2, and 375x2x2 sets, followed by some of my working sets on incline bench with 185. The shoulder saver is the same height as a 2 board, which is what the program called for on this day. This is a bitch of a height for me, and I’m typically stronger from the chest than I am off of a 2 board. That probably seems odd to some people, but I’ve always accelerated the bar very well off the chest.
Here’s what the full training week looked like:
1/3/2018, Wednesday night upper training
This was a good session despite the below zero temps and long days I’ve been putting in at work and on the farm. I went in feeling good and it turned out well. Here’s what the session consisted of…
DB OHP, Side laterals, Scarecrows, Push ups, Bird dogs, Cat/Camel, McGills
Warmed up to 285×3, added shoulder saver for: 325×2, 355×2, and 375x2x2 sets
185 for 5 sets of 8 reps (4 sets on video) short rests between sets
4 sets of 12 reps
5 sets of 5 reps
5 sets of 8 reps
Hammer curl/Band pressdown SS
5 sets of 15/15
1/5/2018, Friday night lower training
This session went to hell in a hand basket. I’ve been beating my hips down stepping over hog fences on the farm (20-24 times per day) carrying heavy loads, and doing nothing to help them recover. Add in 12 days in a row of sub zero degree temperature, and an 80 hour work week, and its a bad combo. Got to the gym at about 9:15 pm at -2 degrees outside, with ice on the bars and plates and I should have known what was going to happen. Excuses excuses though, I just need to do a better job of taking care of myself between training sessions.
BW squat, Hip airplanes, Banded GM’s, Banded Cat/Camel, McGills, Donkey kicks, Glute bridges, More BW squat
Warmed up to 445x a bunch of singles and doubles, just wasn’t feeling it… then 535×2, and 585 x miss
- yes you read that right, I missed a 585 deadlift… badly. It didn’t budge off the floor. This is a problem.
- At this point I was supposed to squat, but my hips were destroyed. I opted to move on to my accessories and finish up quickly.
5 sets of 8 reps
5 sets of 12 reps
- Nothing more to say about that one. I’m going to see the chiro/PT this coming week, and I’m going to start contrasting my hips as well as passively stretching the surrounding areas between sessions. I’ll get it fixed up, this is a bad spot to be in during meet prep (no heavy deadlifts or squats in 4-5 weeks) but I’ll make up for it in the coming weeks and be ready for the meet.
Latest posts by Zane Geeting (see all)
- Zane Geeting, Arnold Classic Meet Prep Week 5 with VIDEO - January 15, 2018
- Inane Ramblings of a Meathead: What 15 Years of Powerlifting Feels Like - January 15, 2018
- Zane Geeting, Arnold Classic Meet Prep Week 4 with VIDEO - January 10, 2018