08 Nov Brian Carroll | 10/20/Life precontest | Week 6 Day 2 | Bench with video
I've recently switched to a pre-contest approach using the 10/20/Life method. I've only been back to training for about 30 weeks, and shoulder has been cooperative, with very few roadblocks and setbacks. Huge thanks to Andrew Lock for the help in my shoulder progressions and understanding a better way to incorporate more efficient cervical, thoracic, and rotator/shoulder training into my approach. Blue and I will be competing in December to qualify for the WPO Semi-finals/XPC Worlds. I need to achieve a top 30 by a coefficient (Glossbrenner) to qualify. The goal is not to peak for this meet, but to get a total. Blue will be joining me for his first meet in about 10 years. I will be lifting at 308 for the first time besides a bench only meet or two.
Ok, so last squat/DL session things seemed to come together pretty well so I was hoping to ride the wave into a good bench session. Last week’s bench was garbage so I was optimistic about this one!
Week 6, Day 2 Monday Bench
- Bench with Iron Wolfe bar: 325×1, 415×1, 465×1 off the 3board then tossed on the SDP: 555×1 – 5board, 635×1 – 4board, 685×1 – 3board, 735×1 – 2board, 775×1 – 1board
- Paused CG bench with feet up: 3×3
- Triceps press-down: 3×10
- Ring triceps extensions: 3×10
- Grip work/plate pinches
MUCH better session than last week’s junk. I made a couple of adjustments; 1. Locked my shirt in with my belt which kept it down 2. Drank more water (during the day) and worked on not letting my air out.
I’m currently in a stock size 60 shirt and it’s pretty big but I want to be able to for sure get one in before I get too crazy. Afterall, this meet is a tune-up and qualifier.
All of the weights felt good/light and we are actively working on the 3-man handoff because some of the newer guys haven’t done them very much in the past but they are catching on quick. Great group of guys!
I have a couple more bench sessions then I’m going to shut it down for December. Blue hit a nice 525 and is looking pretty good for December. I’m glad to see it!
Latest posts by Brian Carroll (see all)
- Brian Carroll | 10/20/Life precontest | Week 6 Day 2 | Bench with video - November 8, 2019
- Brian Carroll | 10/20/Life precontest | Week 6 Day 1 | Squat and DL - November 5, 2019
- Brian Carroll | 10/20/Life precontest | Week 5 Day 2 | Bench press Flop - November 1, 2019