22 May Excerpt From 10/20/Life – THE Six Questions You HAVE To Ask Yourself About Your “GURU”!
By: Brian Carroll
“Numbers on the platform are cool, but who have these gurus trained under? Who have they coached that’s been successful? What’s their level of education, and what have they done? You should know all these answers if the guy whose training methods you’re following is supposed to be a legend in the industry. All too often, however, we find these guys’ bark is far worse than their bite. That, unfortunately, is what the strength industry has turned into.
When you’re looking for a coach, use Dave Tate’s list of questions. If you can’t answer one or more of them, or the answers you find aren’t good enough, move on:
1. What’s his/her educational background?
2. Who are his/her mentors?
3. Who has this person coached?
4. What has he/she done in this profession/sport?
5. Has this person been able to make people stronger than they were?
6. How good are they at what they preach?
When choosing a coach, numbers on the platform are a good measure, but longevity is key, too. You’ll notice me referring to lengthening your career and not being a one or two-meet wonder throughout this book. This means you want a coach who’s put up big numbers over time—and not just some flash in the pan who’s done it once or twice.
The great ones stay around for decades, not years. Those are the people you want coaching you.
As Lil Wayne says, “Players play, coaches coach, and cheerleaders cheer.”
Which one are you? Think about this. Is your mentor or coach someone who makes you want to be a leader yourself? Is this person making a positive difference in your life that compels you to want to excel instead of being average? Or, as is too often the case these days, is your mentor a style-over-substance guy who’s getting by on his cult of personality? You can’t have both, so choose wisely.”
Latest posts by Brian Carroll (see all)
- Trip to DOPE and Matt Vincent’s Podcast in St Louis - November 28, 2023
- Trip to St Louis for a colab with Squat University - November 21, 2023
- Getting To Know The Backfitpro Team: Stuart McGill x Brian Carroll - November 3, 2023