29 Jul Zane Geeting, last 2 sessions, all 3 lifts.
I’m currently in an off season training cycle working on improving work capacity and bringing up some weak areas. During the busy summer months I only train 2x per week, but have had very good success with it thus far. As the competition season approaches in the fall and winter, I will go back up to 3 days per week. Currently my competition plans include the APF Fall open here in MI and the XPC finals at the Arnold sports festival in March.
Friday 7/24/15 Squat and Pull night
This week had me back to a light/low volume squat night, and some moderate pulling. My left hip had been bugging me throughout the week so I was unsure what to expect from this session as my sumo deadlift relies heavily on hip strength. Here’s how the session broke down.
Bird dogs, McGill’s, Cat/Camel, BW squat
Belt only squat
bar x a bunch, 150×10, 240×8, 330×5, 420×2
– My hip was definitely giving me some trouble. Rather than take my last set and go into sumo pulling, I decided to not push the hip and rather do some conventional pulling. My lower back has been feeling pretty healthy and fresh, so why not. I set the goal of pulling some triples up to an RPE of 7 or so. I hadn’t pulled conventional in a very long time, especially with a stiff bar, so I didn’t have any numbers in mind, just played it by feel.
Conventional deadlifts, stiff bar
245×5, 335×3, 425×3, 515×3
– This was better than I had expected, honestly. I’ve never been a great conventional puller (mid 600’s at best) so this isn’t too bad a start, and it did the trick of not bothering my hips.
3 sets of 15 reps
Calve raises and shrugs superset
3 sets of 20+ on each.
– That was all of it. Again, not as much as what I should be doing right now, but I’m doing the best I can with the time I have. I’ve been sleeping 5 hours or less per night right now because of work and the house project. Late nights and early mornings for me.
Tuesday 7/28/15 Bench and accessories night
This week Dirk and a couple of the other guys weren’t training, so I went and did a session with one of my training clients that lives just north of me. We hit the gym around 8:30pm to do a little benching. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a commercial gym, kind of a shocker.
Bird dogs, Cat/Camel, McGill’s, Side laterals, Scarecrows
bar x a bunch, 135×15, 185×10, 225×8, 255×8, 275×6
– Bench actually felt pretty good aside from the fact that the low, slippery bench was screwing up my setup.
Seated DB OHP
50’s x10, 70’s x10, 90’s x10
– These felt good, but I did tweak something in my left rear delt. I thought I felt a twinge back there when it happened, but there was no pain or anything, so I just kept going. I do have some tightness and pain in there this morning though. I’m sure its nothing, but notable nonetheless.
40’s x10, 50’s x10, 55’s x10
2 regular sets and 1 drop set
Wide lat pulldowns
4 sets of 15 reps
– That was all of it. Overall good session and we made some progress with my client, Casey. Some tweaks on the bench were immediately beneficial for him. We also worked on squat set up a bit, but didn’t have time to actually go through the motions, so we’ll see how he applies that in his upcoming training videos.
[share title=”Share this Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”][author title=”About the Author”]