21 May Zane Geeting, Tuesday night bench work
I’m currently in an off-season training cycle. Through the spring and summer months my focus takes a shift towards the house restoration project and the farm. I’m still training with the goal of brining up weak areas and making gains, but my time in the gym does become more limited during this period in time. This works out well because I do the bulk of my off season training raw, which is much less time consuming than multi ply training. Going forward I will be picking a meet in the late fall to early winter, then doing the XPC finals at the Arnold Classic again.
Tuesday night’s are currently a rotation of deadlift one week, bench the next right now. This can change if we have a rainy Sunday where I can fit in a bench session, otherwise Sundays are house/farm days right now. This Tuesday was obviously a bench week, so the wife and I headed to the garage gym to do a little training. Here’s what I did:
Side laterals, Front raises, Scarecrows, Fat man rows and push ups
Warm ups, then… 225×10, 245×10
Wide grip pause bench
Seated DB OHP
3×10, up to 80 lb. DB’s
3×10 up to 50 lb. DB’s
Wide grip lat pulldowns
4×10 up to 200 lbs, then 1 drop set from 200 to 150 to 100 lbs.
Bent over laterals
3 sets of 10 up to 40 lb. DB’s
3 sets of 10
– That was the end of it. I haven’t been benching regularly enough and everything feels heavy in my hands. I’m also finding that my triceps are fatiguing much faster than they should be. This is not good as they are my main movers in bench because of the pec loss. I need to remain more diligent in getting this work in. I’ve done absolutely fine when only benching every other week in the off-season before, but I need to have good sessions with high volume and a fast pace to make this work. For reference this whole session took around an hour and a half. Not quite as fast as it could be, but still a good clip.
– This weekend I won’t see any gym time. Instead I’ll be going to spend time with my family at our cabin. I’m sure there will be plenty of physical activity going on, just no lifting. I look forward to these weekends to help me unwind from my usual hectic schedule. Now I just need to figure out who I can get to come tend the animals for a couple days, lol.
[share title=”Share this Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”][author title=”About the Author”]
Latest posts by Zane Geeting (see all)
- Zane Geeting, Training Update 1/15/2019 - January 15, 2019
- Zane Geeting, Off Season Training Update - January 7, 2019
- Zane Geeting, Last 3 Off Season Training Sessions - November 6, 2018
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.