26 Jun Zane Geeting, Tuesday night overhead and bench accessories
I’m currently in an off-season training cycle, working on improving work capacity and bringing up some weak areas. During this time I’m only training 2x per week, so I have to make sure to make every session count. As I pick a late fall/early winter meet, I’ll kick training back to 3x per week, but for now, I need the extra time to get my farm on. Betta axe sumbody.
This week put me back to standing OHP as my main movement, with DB benching and accessories to follow. I was feeling pretty good as I got warmed up, so I got after it a bit more than I should have, but it was still a good session. Here’s what I did:
Bird dogs, McGills, Cat/Camel, Fat man rows and push ups, side laterals, scarecrows
DB Incline bench
3 sets of 15 with 60’s, slow tempo
DB flat bench
3 sets of 15 with 80’s, slow tempo
2 sets of 10
1 drop set
5 sets of 10-12
Rear delt fly’s
3 sets of 15, up to 50 lb. DB’s
3 way neck
2 high rep sets
3 sets of 30 seconds
– That was the end of it. I got a little too crazy on the OHP and my bad pec was cramping up on the incline DB pressing, but I kept the temp slow and the weight light, and everything was fine. Obviously this was a ton of work for the front delts, so they were just about shot by the end.
– From there I hit the triceps with rolling extensions to get that work down by the elbow. Its a hard place to hit, and a very important one to locking out heavy weight. I finished up with some rope pushdowns to really pump the triceps full of blood. These are great for both recovery and hypertrophy, especially when you throw in that high rep drop-set at the end. I use 2 drops from the original weight on those.
– Lats and rear delts were next on the list. This work is done to build the base in which you bench off of, the stability on the bench, especially when lowering the bar comes from these two muscle groups. I think the rear delts are overlooked when it comes to this, and to keeping the shoulder joint balanced and healthy. I always make sure to hit the rear delts in one way or the other, every time I bench.
– I finished up with neck for vanity reasons, and JL planks for added core bracing. You have to keep stable, and work towards that rigid core for your own strength and safety, even on bench days. Shit, think of how much core bracing goes on during the heavy standing OHP that I started with.
– I’ll be back in the gym Friday night for some low volume squatting, and some deadlifting. Hopefully the pulling goes a little better than it did 2 weeks ago. While deadlift is my strong point, I still can’t slack on training quality when I get it in. I’ll try to get some video of this session to break up the monotony of my boring ass log for those of you who follow, haha.
– Also, super excited to try out this new Leviathan suit. This thing looks wild, and unlike any suit I’ve ever used. I would have to say that this is the biggest innovation in a squat suit in many years. Hopefully the performance is as advanced as the design is. Very exciting stuff for us gear whores.
[share title=”Share this Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”][author title=”About the Author”]