22 Aug Brian Carroll | 10/20/Life new Offseason | Week 1 bench press
I'm currently training in an offseason approach using the 10/20/Life method. I've only been back to training for about 20 weeks, and shoulder has been excellent, with very few roadblocks and setbacks. Huge thanks to Andrew Lock for the help in my shoulder progressions and understanding a better way to incorporate more efficient cervical, thoracic, and rotator/shoulder training into my approach. Still so much to learn! I've been working on a lot of things this year, one building my powerlifting Team here at PRS HQ in Jacksonville, Fl.
I have no meets currently planned; as of now, I'm an alternate for the WPO Finals in October. With that said, I can tell you that it's for the best if everyone on the roster makes it though, yet, this is highly unlikely. I don't want to rush prep, but I will do the best I can. Regardless, I cannot commit to taking up a roster spot at this time and told some of the powers that be this very thing months ago. So I'm planning for something else, some other time, not sure when or where. As of now, I would like to be able to shoot for a qualifier next year, maybe the Semi-finals at the Arnold Classic convention center.
I really miss training with the guy in the featured image. Starting with him in Sept. 2003, 16 years ago next month was really one of the best swings my life could have taken. I’m thankful that we connected that day in 2003 which I discuss the full story here
I’m happy to announce that I’m now carrying the Vertical diet 3.0 in the shop! I like this approach to dieting. It’s not a fad diet, but something you create, which is sustainable and enjoyable. As Stan says, “compliance is the science.” For those who would like to read more about the vertical diet, please see this article from earlier this year: Five Changes for 2019 and I’ve done a decent job at adhering to this; getting better every day.. Still working on the sleep aspect! Also, if you like the belt squat rack attachment that you see my team and me using in our videos, you can grab yours here and get $50 off your purchase, taking it down to only $900!
As I mentioned in my last post, I have taken some time to get healed up and cross a few things off my TDL, which was rapidly building up. I guess you could also say that 2019 has been a to-do list. Right now, the training goals are overall health, building a good team/gym and getting PRS the way I want it so that when it’s time to push again, I’ll be all set-up and G2G.
8.19.19 Monday’s training highights week 1 – new cycle
- Week 1, Day 2 bench press – Triples, like Saturday’s squats
- Using the average bands set-up under bench
- Using Inzer Atomic wrist wraps and Inzer Sleeves
Monday’s Squat/DL session:
- bench: top set 255×3 – RPE 10 – really screwed up and went too heavy
- Close grip (same bands) 3×5 – 155
- Incline DB press: 3×10 SS Bottoms up KB press
- Spud strap press-down SS Hamer curl
- Sled drags: 4x50yd SS Suitcase carry: 3×10
First of all, I gassed out and missed a rep. This was my fault. After going back and watching the footage, I should have easily smoked this weight but looking at the time stamps, I pushed the pace too fast and will take more time between sets. 10-12min vs 5-8min which is what I was pacing. I need to avoid missing reps in training and starting off on week 1 missing is indefensible, it’s stupid, so I’m going to take note. I will be staying with bands the next 5 weeks and then moving over the chains, then a test day. With some deloads sprinkled in. The plan is the next 4 weeks staying with the bands, then moving to chains. I’ll probably deload in 2 weeks, as long as the body holds up. I think it’s important to toe the line between not pushing hard enough (I just did it) and pushing too hard (we all have). I think deloading less in the offseason, when intensity isn’t so high is relatively safer than precomp, but anyway. And yes, I’m violating my own rules left and right. I’m still learning.
Solid training session. FYI – I did voiceover on the last couple of training videos but I wasn’t loud enough and the music was too strong in the background. I’ll work on getting these more cleaned up over the next few tries.
I’ve also gotten away from sharing what I’ve been reading lately. For this entire year, I’ve been leaning on this scripture passage.
- If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth.
- All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God:
- You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.
- The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock–the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.
- Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed.
- You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.
- The LORD will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven.
- The LORD will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The LORD your God will bless you in the land he is giving you.
- The LORD will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the LORD your God and walk in his ways.
- Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they will fear you.
- The LORD will grant you abundant prosperity–in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground–in the land he swore to your forefathers to give you.
- The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none.
- The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.
- Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.
Latest posts by Brian Carroll (see all)
- Brian Carroll | Offseason training week 5 update - February 17, 2020
- Brian Carroll | Last couple of weeks training update - February 4, 2020
- Brian Carroll Training update and happy new year! - January 27, 2020