05 Jul Brian Carroll | 10/20/Life | Week 4 day 2 Bench | 19 weeks out from the WPO
Starting another 3-week mini-cycle. This cycle will consist of the following:
Cambered bar squats for triples/doubles then single/deload
4″ block pulls – same rep scheme the next 4 weeks
Stability bench – might do more repetitions since this is more of ‘rehab’/transitional at this point but same idea.
- Warm-up: General 10/20/Life warm-up, as usual, each day includes but not limited to: Breaking a sweat, McGill big 3 and always band pull-aparts and shoulder band/DB work.
- Training: Week 4, day 2 bench
- RPE 6 for this day
- Side lateral: 3×10
- Rear delt flye: 3×10
- DB press: 5×10
- Stability bench press: 5×5 – 135 + 25’s hanging
- Bottoms up KB press: 3×10
- DB skulls: 4×6
- Band press-down: 4×10
Another good day while slowly building momentum. I went up another 50lbs from the week prior and felt even better. The key right now is patience and slowly letting the shoulder adapt to load. Adam was back in the gym, so it was good to get some work in with him. Adam’s shoulder has been a little achy so this what I was doing worked out great.
Another couple weeks of this pressing progression and I’ll get back to free weight.
19 weeks out from the WPO.
I’ve hit on this in earlier posts, but it’s hard to hold back when you see so many people training so heavy (this far out from the meet). I’ve been in this situation many times over the years going into the big comps for over 14 years going back to Seniors 2004. I’ve made the mistake of being focused on the things that do not matter this far out. It’s evident in the instant gratification social media provides us. 19 weeks is a lot of time to get stronger, but when not utilized correctly it can be a gateway to peak 6-12 weeks early. I predict the bright lights will reveal this in November for many.
Latest posts by Brian Carroll (see all)
- Update – what has been going on!? – Brian Carroll - October 5, 2021
- The best squat instruction top to bottom ever done - July 2, 2021
- The clearest McGill Big 3 instruction ever - June 18, 2021