16 Jul Brian Carroll | 10/20/Life | Week 6 day 1 Squat/DL | 17 weeks out from the WPO
Wrapping up 3-week mini-cycle. This cycle will consist of the following:
Cambered bar squats for triples/doubles then single/deload
4″ block pulls – same rep scheme the next four weeks as squat
- Will add belt and wraps in a couple of weeks
- Will add briefs in about four weeks
Stability bench – might do more repetitions since this is more of ‘rehab’/transitional at this point but same idea. So far, sets of 5 each week.
- Will add wrist wraps and sleeves next week
- McGill Big 3
- Side laterals
- Internal/external rotation
- Rear delt flye
- Band pull-aparts
- A little bit of hip mobility
- Adductor activator drills
Training Week 6, day 1 Squat & DL:
- RPE 7
- Cambered bar squat: singles to 525
- 4″ block pull: singles to 500 – no hook double overhand
- Belt pause squat: 4×6
- Belt squat/Romanian hybrid: 4×6
- Suitcase carry: a few trips
- Walking cool-down (I got a little overheated)
Fantastic training day. We had a special guest in the house, Tom “Mylo” Myslinski of the Jacksonville Jags came out to eat with us and brought his humongous son, Mike out for a training session. Mike has a bright future with the knowledge and genetics his dad brings. He’s only a (going to be) sophomore and is way ahead of most his age.
Tom worked some RPR magic on some of our athletes and had an all-around very fun time training.
All of my work went about as planned, maybe even better. 500 on the cambered bar is always squirrely, as the collars don’t rotate, so I can utilize lighter weight for the same result in this phase of training.
I’ve been training my grip with copious amounts of KB bottoms up work and having not handled 500 DOH on the deadlift (no hook) my grip stood firm, may have had 550. The old school rule of thumb is if you can pull 500 double overhand, you should be good to go over/under.
I pushed the belt squats pretty hard and it killed me. Gassed me. Might have gotten me a bit overheated, so I had to take it easy on the carries outside in the heat. Again, these are the things I missed out on in prior offseason sessions. The details are the focus.
I have one more session (Today) Monday, then I have some assistance work prior to my deload. I’ll need it.
17 weeks out from the WPO. Lot’s of time to get beat-up or get stronger. It’s your choice.
Latest posts by Brian Carroll (see all)
- Update – what has been going on!? – Brian Carroll - October 5, 2021
- The best squat instruction top to bottom ever done - July 2, 2021
- The clearest McGill Big 3 instruction ever - June 18, 2021