27 Sep Brian Carroll Precontest training Week 8 day 1 Squat/DL
I’m currently training for the RPS Meet in FT Lauderdale, Oct 25. I’m at about 10 weeks out. My bodyweight is hovering around 264 in the AM, and I will slowly move toward 260 over the next couple of months, where I want it to stay.
I’m going to compete at 242, as I feel better there, overall.
For the full story of why I decided to go 242, read this: A Look in the Mirror, Part 1
Mcgill Big 3
KB swing etc
Raw to 500
1070×1 – stumbled out of rack
up to 735×1 approximate second
Conditioning work ie sled…
A few things:
1. I’m deconditioned. It sucks. There’s just no replacement for being under 1000lb. Nothing can simulate the CNS stress, the little muscles that really take a beating ie feet/calves. I will need a couple of sessions to get back in shape.
2. Cardio-wise, I’m great – been doing tons! But what ended up amounting to 3 weeks between heavy squats was too much time. I felt much slower than I should. Legs were a bit flat.
3. I know Monday will be similar on the bench, I just have to push through it. I have to really push the edge these next 3 weeks, then rest and cut weight for the meet. What’s cool is at this point I’m usually very beat up at this point, so that’s cool.
4. I bet I feel much better next weekend when I do all 3 lifts at Michigan Barbell for the “Strength for a Lifetime” Seminar next weekend, October 4&5.
I’ve got this next weekend, the following which is the 11th, then time to deload for the meet. Should line up perfect.
[share title=”Share this Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”][author title=”About the Author”]
Latest posts by Brian Carroll (see all)
- Update – what has been going on!? – Brian Carroll - October 5, 2021
- The best squat instruction top to bottom ever done - July 2, 2021
- The clearest McGill Big 3 instruction ever - June 18, 2021