31 Jan Brian Carroll | Week 1, Day 1 | Squat & DL Training
Saturday kicked off another 3-week mini-cycle. After reevaluating my own training, some experimentation with clients, and just sifting through Gift of Injury so many times (writing it/editing it), I’ve concluded that for me, planning more than 3 weeks at a time is too much.
At my lifting age and current demands in life and the gym, it just works better this way.
This mini-cycle I’m adding in the following:
Fusion DL suit
and the SDP has already been part of my offseason prep.
Goal for the next 3 weeks:
1. To lift more weight (haha) with the addition of equipment
2. Continue to fine-tune my approach and form
3. Get used to tighter, better fitting equipment
Version/Bar of the big 3 lifts I’ll be doing:
Bench-Bulldog bar, flat bench (no more floor press)
Deadlift-2″ block pulls
Here’s Saturdays session:
Squats RPE 7 in 38 Preds
Deads RPE 7
Belt squat: 3×10
Suitcase carry: 4×50 yards
Bottoms up carry: 4×50 yards
I went into this session with low expectations. I hadn’t donned any powerlifting equipment since Arnold 2017, so there were a lot of things up in the air. I have to say, it went pretty well.
Squats felt pretty good, though briefs were tight. Deads, again, the suit was tight but fit well. These are the things I’m not used to- pressure and tight fits.
I accomplished much more than I was expecting, so very happy. I’ll be ramping up a little bit next weekend to beat this week.
Latest posts by Brian Carroll (see all)
- Update – what has been going on!? – Brian Carroll - October 5, 2021
- The best squat instruction top to bottom ever done - July 2, 2021
- The clearest McGill Big 3 instruction ever - June 18, 2021