02 Jun Quick Tip #1: Grip An Issue For You?
By: Brian Carroll
I’ll be doing a “Quick Tip” about 2x a week as things come to me, or a certain subject or issue is brought to my attention. Feel free to let me know if you have something for me to cover. Thank you!
We all know that your grip is a huge part of being good at the Squat, bench, Dead and strong in general. Struggle with grip strength? Here are a few suggestions to build your grip, and to attack your weak link.
1. Double overhand shrugs: Practice holding onto the bar as long as you can, while shrugging controlled. Play with weights and rep schemes.
2. Mcgill pull-up: Use the “lobster claw” and lock onto the bar for multiple singles and doubles. See video.
3. Suitcase Carry: Use a DB or KB in just one hand and carry for distance. Make sure to stay upright and not lean.
4. Warm-up with a double overhand grip on the deadlift: This is another old school way of building grip. Switch back to over/under when grip starts to fail. This really builds up the flexors and extensors.
5. Utilize fat gripz in your training: Do hammer curls with them, DB presses, or rows. If you want to REALLY up the ante, then do DOH (#1) with the fat gripz once the shrugs become easy.
*See VIDEO below: